Monash University Publishing | Contacts Page
Monash University Publishing: Advancing knowledge

Still Learning

1. INTRODUCTION

The site of the Monash University Peninsula Campus has been an educational institution for 50 years. The impact of the post-War baby boom and immigration policy saw increased enrolments at primary schools across Victoria and demand for teachers outweighed supply. The Education Department responded to the increased need and in 1958 two new teachers colleges were established. Frankston Teachers’ College opened its doors in 1959 with an enrolment of 109 students. 1958 also marked the establishment and incorporation of ‘a University to be known as Monash University’ (Monash University Act 1958 No. 6184), located in the outer Melbourne suburb of Clayton. Though staff and students from Frankston crossed educational paths with Monash from the outset, it would be 32 years and several mergers of educational institutions later, before the current Monash University Peninsula Campus was formed.

Increases in population and a more affluent society, together with greater demands for higher or advanced education, led to several government inquiries into the higher education sector from the 1970s. The Education Department relinquished control over the States’ Teacher Training Colleges, and in 1972, Frankston was one of six colleges which formed the State College of Victoria (SCV). In 1982 the State College of Victoria at Frankston amalgamated with the Caulfield Institute of Technology to form the Chisholm Institute of Technology. Frankston became one of its two campuses and remained so until 1990 when that institution merged with Monash University to become Monash University Peninsula Campus.

From its first days, the local community were considered a significant part of the Frankston Teachers’ College. Parents of local students formed the Welfare Association for the provision of amenities to the College and for the promotion and development of public relations between the College and community generally. During its time as the State College of Victoria at Frankston, community engagement broadened with invitations extended to groups representing local government, migrants, service organisations and community workers in order to meet members of the Council and staff. Additionally, evening classes and lectures were offered for members of the local community, continuing under the banner of the Chisholm Institute of Technology. Since 1990, when Chisholm merged with the rapidly growing Monash University, connections to the community have increased even further.

With its expansion of courses, the Peninsula Campus now attracts students from suburbs across Melbourne as well as from the extremity of the Mornington Peninsula and from across the world. After 18 years as one of Monash University’s suburban campuses, Peninsula has clearly created a niche for itself within the multi-campus Monash network and built upon the existing strong links with its local community.

image

Figure 1 The Education Building
Photographer: Melissa Diciero, Advancement, Monash University

Still Learning

   by Fay Woodhouse